Thursday, June 14, 2012

ADVERBS AND PROVERBS ~ FRUGALLY

"It's not how much you make. It's how much you save." ~Author Unknown

"I am not going to spend money I don't have to this summer." Those words I had spoken to my husband days earlier resonated in my mind as I stood in line at the Bath and Body store. My feelings were mixed. I'd overlooked the scented candles and didn't even bother with items in the store that weren't marked down. Still, did I really need the four bottles in my hands? With six people in front of me waiting to pay, I had ample time to mull over my purchases and deem them worthy of the twelve dollars they would cost.

This is how I am attempting to train my thinking when it comes to spending money. Do I really need this? Is it a good value, or can I do better? I also want to bear in mind the fact that my home is overflowing with STUFF. In fact, there is so much of it, it's hard for me to keep track...stay organized...and remember what I have and where I put it. That said, do I really need more?

With a daughter's wedding looming on the horizon, and a one hundred year old home in need of some costly repairs, I have to put a halt to the spending. Enough! My cup more than runneth over. Our well-stocked kitchen tells me we won't go hungry any time soon. My closet, crammed with clothes, is a daily reminder that I have plenty to wear. The books, movies, puzzles, and games occupying space in our house shows me I have an abundance of things to keep me entertained.

"I'm not going to spend one dollar that I don't have to this summer." This time I am speaking to myself. For this season ~ and hopefully longer ~ I want to live frugally.

"By showing frugality we reap liberty, a golden harvest." ~Agesilaus

"A bargain ain't a bargain unless it's something you need." ~Sidney Carroll

"Beware of little expenses; a small leak will sink a great ship." ~Benjamin Franklin

"A fool and his money are soon parted." ~Thomas Tusser
       

No comments:

Post a Comment