Wednesday, June 20, 2012

ADVERBS AND PROVERBS ~ SACREDLY

"Just to be is a blessing. Just to live is holy." ~Abraham Joshua Heschel

The thoughts that filtered into my mind early this morning were anything but uplifting. Before my eyelids opened and my feet hit the floor, I had to begin the process of reigning them in. Like opening up the windows in a stuffy house, I had to bring fresh air and fresh thinking into my mind.

It's a brand new day. Sometimes the simple miracle in that gift is more than I can wrap my brain around. I am given a new day ~ a fresh start ~ and I get to choose how to live it. It's not about what is scheduled on my calendar, or the tasks that need to be accomplished. It's about a mindset...an attitude...and an overall appreciation for this time that can only be spent once.

Before I pried open my eyes this morning, I made a decision. I want to live out this day with a sense of sacredness. Sacred isn't something we find in a building, and it isn't reserved for Sunday mornings. Sacred resides in our hearts and our minds. It's the realization that I am standing on holy ground and living out my holy purpose because my God resides within me. If I seek Him and His plans, my day becomes a sacred art. Is there a greater privilege than that?

Sacred living transforms everything. People you run into become opportunities to serve. Your hands become the hands of God, ready to reach out to others. Chores are no longer drudgery when tackling them with a focus on God. Just the thought of Him standing in my presence as I fold laundry and scrub floors gives a sacred element to the ordinary. Worries, fears, and negative thinking lose their power. No circumstance or concern can compare with the presence of God. Moodiness dissipates, drowned out by the awe and wonder of knowing that my Father is right here beside me.

Today is sacred. It is holy and set apart. I choose to live this day fully conscious of God's presence, right here...right now. My home and every place I go is holy ground because I realize the Holy One is with me.

Does this sound appealing? Or unnerving? Maybe a little of both. I can't help but notice that "sacred" and "scared" are just rearrangements of the same letters. The thought that God is always here with us can be a bit unsettling. I know because I've felt it. But today, I choose to cling to my God and to bask in His presence. I want to live this day sacredly.

"We inhabit ourselves without valuing ourselves, unable to see that here, now, this every moment is sacred; but once it's gone ~ its value is incontestable." 
~Joyce Carol Oates

"When we acknowledge that all of life is sacred and that each act is an act of choice and therefore sacred, then life is a sacred dance lived consciously each moment. When we live at this level, we participate in the creation of a better world."
~Scott Cloud

"Love's greatest gift is its ability to make everything it touches sacred."
~Barbara De Angelis

"Anybody can observe the Sabbath, but making it holy surely takes the rest of the week." ~Alice Walker

          

No comments:

Post a Comment