Wednesday, June 6, 2012

ADVERBS AND PROVERBS ~ TIMELY

"Time is the coin of your life. It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent."
~Carl Sandburg

"Where has the time gone?" If you are like me, you have spoken these words on more than one occasion. Nothing makes the rapid speed of time more real and tangible than looking into the faces of our adult children. I don't care what anyone says ~ it WAS only yesterday that I was changing their diapers...reading them bedtime stories...and filling in for the tooth fairy.

The swiftness at which the days in my hour-glass have slipped by is a wake-up call. I want to make the most of this precious commodity. I don't want to waste another minute of the time I have left. Of course this doesn't mean I am going to spend every waking hour accomplishing tasks. We all need down time. And time off can be as critical as time spent working...maybe more so. But I don't want to whittle away valuable time looking backwards. The memories from the past that can weigh me down are time-wasters. Being present in the moment, and being hopeful and excited about the future are much better uses of my time.

The Bible tells us to number our days. But God doesn't live within the confines of time. This is a difficult concept for me since I've never experienced it myself. While He isn't limited by time, I think He wants us to hold fast to the truth that we are. We have a beginning and an end; what counts is what we do with the in-betweens. I want to live being mindful of the fact that my days are numbered, and to see each day ~ even the bad ones ~ as a gift.

"Time stands still for no one." Isn't that the truth! So I make the decision to slow down my own pace and focus on what matters most to me. I want to invest my time wisely in the things and the people that are near and dear to me.

None of us is here at this point in time by accident. Esther lived out her life with purpose, knowing it was "for such a time as this". We can too. Let's make the most of it.

"Since time is the one immaterial object which we cannot influence ~ neither speed up nor slow down ~ add to nor diminish ~ it is an imponderably valuable gift."
~Maya Angelou
      

1 comment:

  1. Lately I've been listening to a CD that has a song on it called "Live Like You Were Dying" (or something to that effect). It speaks of this same message. How often we live our daily lives in such a way that pushes to the future the things that are the most important. Only God knows the number of our days. If we lived each day like we were dying, how would our lives be different? I believe they would be richer and far more meaningful. Again, not in terms of tasks completed, but in terms of relationships built and gifts from God appreciated and enjoyed. A website that encourages this is One Month to Live. Here is a link: http://lifestyle.onemonthtolive.com/default.aspx
    Thanks for sharing, Julie. May today be a rich one for you and your readers. : ) ~ Rosemary

    ReplyDelete