Monday, June 18, 2012

DADS AND HUSBANDS

"What do I owe my father? Everything." ~Henry Van Dyke

I greeted my husband with a "Happy Father's Day" card. He'd requested no gifts, but I had to do something. If I couldn't celebrate him in some tangible way, my mind and my heart would spend way too much time wandering to my own dad...and words I left unsaid before he passed away. He's been gone for almost three decades, but I still feel a twinge of sadness on Father's Day. Because I still miss him. And I don't think I really appreciated him when he was alive...which also makes me sad.

I don't think I am alone. Most of us don't recognize and appreciate what we have until it's gone...or we become parents ourselves. Looking back, I can see the hard work, the sacrifices, and the unconditional love that my parents poured into us kids. I wish I could turn back the clock and tell my dad how grateful I am for all that he did for me. But I can't. So I put my focus on my husband, and pause to thank him. Our kids may not see all that their dad has done for them over the course of their lives, but I know. My husband has been a great dad to his children. Not perfect...no one is. But he has always been there for them ~ loving each of them with all of his heart ~ working tirelessly to provide a comfortable life and a good education ~ ready and eager to be their helper and friend at a phone call's notice. Our kids are so blessed, and the longer they live, the more they will realize what a wonderful dad they have.

If your dad is still alive, how blessed you are to have the chance I long for. If you have a husband who has been a good father to your children, is there a better gift he can give you? I don't think so. Let's tell the men in our lives how much they mean to us, and how thankful we are...for everything. And let's not wait until the third Sunday in June. Let's strive to tell them everyday.

"The imprint of the father, remains forever on the life of a child." ~Roy Lessin

"Dad, for all those times I left it unsaid...Thank you. Thanks for being there for me...For showing me the way...For being patient with me even when I made it difficult for you...For believing in me and encouraging me to dream...and being such an inspiring presence in my life." ~Author Unknown

"A good father is one of the most unsung, unpraised, unnoticed, and yet one of the most valuable assets in our society." ~Billy Graham

"God took the strength of a mountain,
The majesty of a tree,
The warmth of a summer sun,
The calm of a quiet sea,
The generous soul of nature,
The comforting arm of night, 
The wisdom of the ages,
The power of the eagle's flight,
The joy of a morning in spring,
The faith of a mustard seed,
The patience of eternity,
The depth of a family need.
Then God combined these qualities,
When there was nothing more to add,
He knew His masterpiece was complete,
And so, He called it...Dad."
~Author Unknown
    

        

No comments:

Post a Comment