Tuesday, June 26, 2012

PLANTING PATIENCE

I poked around our vegetable garden with my gardening gloves and a sense of optimism. I'm not the gardener I long to be. Far from it. I read and study the advice penned by those more experienced than I in this art. Sometimes my efforts pay off; other times, all that blooms is disappointment.

The zucchini plant in our vegetable garden stands about three feet high. Its top leaves must be well over twelve inches in diameter, and lovely yellow buds add to its beauty. Eager to sink my teeth into the squash, I parted the leaves to look for hidden green treasures I was sure awaited me. All I could see were two tiny squash no bigger than my index finger. Why isn't it producing more, I lamented. I've done everything I have been advised to do. And now, I want to reap more than a pretty plant.

So I spent the evening researching and reading more on this supposedly easy plant to grow. And there was my message ~ be patient. If you do all the right things, let time and nature take its course. The likelihood is that the vegetables will materialize and grow in abundance.

Be patient. It seems to be a common theme in my life. In fact, those two words have walked me through more stages and trials than I care to relive. But I grow tired of waiting ~ for direction...for tangible wants like an updated kitchen...for prayers to be answered regarding my loved ones...and for my garden to produce a harvest I can enjoy and share with others.

Be patient. Sometimes those words are like sand paper on my spirit. They feel rough and can wear me down. Haven't I learned enough about this virtue, I complain inwardly and upwardly.

But in my own honest reflection, I can look back and see how I received a blessing because I remained patient. The direction came...the tangible was received...my prayer got answered. And now, as I wait for my garden to flourish, I know that a little patience and perseverance is a small price to pay for the harvest to come.

Patience is really all about enjoying the journey. And isn't that what life is made up of ~ an accumulation of journeys that our life takes us on. It's not about being where we want to be, or having what we want to have. It's all about the process, the paths, and the patience that enables us to enjoy and savor the here and now.

Today I can appreciate my zucchini plant just as it is ~ a hearty, beautiful plant that is growing and thriving in my back yard. Those words ~ BE PATIENT ~ feel more soothing than rough. Each journey holds so much promise, and that's what I am going to harvest today.

"Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow ~ that is patience." ~Author Unknown

"Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them; but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight...When we do the best we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another." 
~Helen Keller

"Let's not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up." ~Galatians 6:9                     

No comments:

Post a Comment