Thursday, June 21, 2012

SUMMER SOLSTICE

"Summer is delicious." ~John Ruskin

"I wonder what it would be like to live in a world where it was always June," penned Lucy Maud Montgomery, creator of the Anne of Green Gables stories. For decades, the endearing red-headed Anne has been one of my favorite literary characters. Her ability to recognize and celebrate her "kindred spirits" has made me love her all the more. And if truth be told, I'm quite sure that her creator must be one of mine.

How I welcome June and the early hours of summer. But perhaps it's temporary state is what makes it so appealing. Twelve months a year of June would be like eating ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. So I welcome it for what it is ~ a season to enjoy.

For me, Summer Solstice is all about celebrating what the next three months will bring. All of my favorites that I associate with summer bring a smile to my face just thinking about them. The sweet scents of jasmine, gardenia, and plumeria ~ sunflowers and red gardenias popping with color ~ Crepe Myrtles in bloom ~ waking to the choirs of birds outside my window, a cheerful replacement for my alarm clock ~ sitting on my porch on a balmy evening, waiting for the stars to appear ~ walking, hiking, and strolling ~ the abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables, especially the ones that managed to come to life in my little garden ~ reading, writing, and indulging the day-dreamer in me. What's not to love about the slower pace of summer?

"Summer afternoon ~ summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." I quite agree, Mr. Henry James. Now...let's go out and enjoy it!

"Summer has now thrown open her emerald doors. Every part of the landscape is profuse in leaves and flowers, and 'green-robed senators of mighty woods' are clothed in their most elegant array." ~Author Unknown

"As one sits here in summertime and listens to the cuckoo and all the other bird songs, the crackling and buzzing of insects, as one gazes at the shining colors of flowers, doth one become dumbstruck before the kingdom of the Creator." 
~Carl Von Linne

"You set up all the boundaries of the earth; you created the cycle of summer and winter." ~Psalm 74:17

     

No comments:

Post a Comment