Tuesday, July 10, 2012

GIFT FROM THE SEA

It's that time of year again. Time to grab one of my favorite books and head for the beach. There's no better place than a seaside beach chair to digest and ponder this timeless treasure. I wonder if Anne Morrow Lindbergh had any idea of the gift she was imparting on the world through this short book. It has spoken to women and men across the globe and exercised its therapeutic wonders on millions of us. Who knows how much money she's saved us from spending on counseling sessions we no longer needed, thanks to her sage and transparently honest words.

If you have not read this gem, I urge you to get a copy of Gift From The Sea. Summer is the ideal time to read it, though it can speak to us anytime of the year. If you live close enough to the ocean, I suggest you find a quiet spot along the shore. Let your feet sink into the warm sand as your heart absorbs her journey revealed so openly on those pages. But don't let a lack of beach time deter your from reading this book. Anywhere will do, as long as it is quiet enough to ponder and reflect on her thoughts poured out lovingly for you.

I have my favorite copy in hand as I write this. My mom gave it to me on my twenty-first birthday. I have no idea how many times I've read it ~ too many to count. Parts are underlined, and there are notes scribbled in its margins. In a few hours, I'll be nestled into my beach chair. The sun, the sand, and the sounds of the surf will be my companions as I once again reacquaint myself with my dear friend Anne.

I hope I've inspired you to drink deeply of this beautifully written book. If you've already had the pleasure of reading it, why not pick it up again and see how it speaks to you today. If you have never opened its pages, I wish you a wondrous journey as Anne lets you peek into her spirit in a way so few have the courage to do. "Patience - Faith - Openness, is what the sea has to teach. Simplicity - Solitude - Intermittency..." Anne learned these the hard way. But we can glean from her life story. Happy reading, my friend.

"The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. To dig for treasures shows not only impatience and greed, but lack of faith. Patience, patience, patience, is what the sea teaches. Patience and faith. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach - waiting for a gift from the sea." 
~Anne Morrow Lindbergh

     

No comments:

Post a Comment