Sunday, July 15, 2012

LESS IS MORE

There is a deep longing inside of me for less. Less possessions. Less debt. Less square footage. Less expenses. Less time-wasters. Less spending. Less clutter. At the same time, my heart cries out for more. More simplicity. More time for things that really matter. More peace of mind. More of God in my daily round.

My husband found me sitting quietly in our bedroom yesterday. "What are you doing?" he asked, puzzled by my inactivity. "Day-dreaming about the life I want," I responded. That got his attention. "What?!" he replied with a tinge of panic in his voice. I could see where his imagination was going, so I quickly explained. "I'm dreaming about a simpler lifestyle ~ no mortgage, freedom from all this stuff we've accumulated. Just a cozy, warm home with a little place to garden." His expression told me he got it. He understood. And he sighed, because he dreams about it, too.

Why do we have these strivings for less when the world around us seems to clamor for more? I don't know. But I am open. Because I think we are embarking on a lesson in life that less really can be more.

We have yet to find our path that will get us there. But I am so drawn to a peaceful retreat that doesn't deplete our wallets and our time. Rustic, wholesome, earthy, comfortable, calming, easy to maintain, welcoming to guests ~ these appeal to me more than the images society promotes in the magazines and on television. Heaven on earth can come in all shapes and sizes. It's just a matter of finding the right fit, then wearing it well.

"A simple life in the Fear-of-God is better than a rich life with a ton of headaches."
~Proverbs 15:16, The Message

"The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak." 
~Hans Hofmann

"The consumption society has made us feel that happiness lies in having things, and has failed to teach us the happiness of not having things."
~Elise Boulding

"What a unique treasure are the things we have learned to live without, for no thief can take them from us."
~Robert Brault


        

No comments:

Post a Comment