Monday, July 2, 2012

THE MODEL HOME

"It's a sad frog who doesn't praise his own pond." ~Author Unknown

I walked throughout the vast space, soon to be home to my niece and her family. I was in awe. I was also wrestling with a sense of inadequacy. Here I am, fifty-something, still occupying a cozy bungalow under 1,500 square feet. My niece's new home more than triples my residence in size.

But the feeling didn't last for more than a minute. I got to thinking about caring for such an immense place, and suddenly, my little home was the perfect fit for me. Because I don't possess the physical strength or stamina to maintain a large residence. And because I no longer need much room as my days of parenting kids at home comes to a close.

My niece is walking a completely different path than me. She is in that sweet season of babies and children yet to come. Her family is in its early stages of growth, and she is excited about having a home that they can expand into. She is young, strong, and energetic enough to tackle all that square footage with passion and enthusiasm.

It's all about the right fit. I don't think I was ever truly capable of caring for so large a house...which in part, explains why I never had one...and why I never will. It wouldn't suit me. But the place I call home now is an equal match to my need and my ability.

How about you? Do you ever find yourself gazing upon someone else's house and wondering why yours isn't an equal match? Could it be that your home is the perfect one for you? Today, let's look around our homes through lenses of gratitude, and really appreciate all of its qualities...even those that can drive us crazy at times. The more we value what we have, the more we can celebrate what others have as well ~ even if they are three times larger than our own.

"I have been very happy with my homes, but homes really are no more than the people who live in them." ~Nancy Reagan

"Prosperity depends more on wanting what you have than having what you want." 
~Geoffrey F. Abert

"The most fortunate are those who have a wonderful capacity to appreciate again and again, freshly and naively, the basic goods of life, with awe, pleasure, wonder, and even ecstacy." ~Abraham Maslow

"True godliness with contentment is itself great wealth. After all, we brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can't take anything with us when we leave it. So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content."
~1 Timothy 6:6-8
        

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your quotes, and I LOVE that we share the same thoughts and feelings (making us heart-sisters, right?)!! I don't know how to change the "Unknown" part of my comments, but I think you're smart enough to figure out who I am. ;-) Keep writing; I know a Christian publisher who just might be interested in publishing your novels! I'd really like to see it happen! =D

    ReplyDelete