Thursday, July 12, 2012

PLEASANT PLACES

"Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance." ~Psalm 16: 5,6

The bill that sat opened in my hands had sucked the joy right out of me. It's been nine months since my surgery. We thought we had paid our share of the costs. But the statement in front of me said otherwise. Not only do we still owe money, the bill in today's mail is the largest one we've received.

I spent the better part of the day trying to come up with a plan how to pay it. With only one income right now, money is tight. But it's always been tight for us. We've dealt with hefty medical expenses for most of our married life. So it was easy for me to get upset. I thought this one was behind us. I felt guilty that my surgery is still draining our wallets.

By late afternoon, I decided I'd had enough of this pity party. Maybe our financial picture isn't the best. It isn't the worst either. And the things in our lives that are good far outweigh the bad.

Like our health ~ yes, we've poured a lot of money into maintaining it, but here we all are ~ healthy, strong, and able to do what we enjoy.

Like our home ~ yes, we still have a mortgage that we may never pay off. And true, it's not a showcase. But it's home, and I love it.

Like our family ~ we aren't perfect. But we love and respect each other just as we are. We walk through the good and the bad together. And we know we have people in our lives that would drop everything in a heartbeat if we needed them.

I could go on and on. Yes, the boundary lines have fallen for me in very pleasant places. Medical bills or no medical bills, life is good! I think it's time to turn my pity party into a celebration.

"Everyday may not be good, but there's something good in every day." 
~Author Unknown

"I've decided that the stuff falling through the cracks is confetti and I'm having a party!" 
~Betsy Canas Garmon

"Got no checkbooks, got no banks,
Still I'd like to express my thanks ~
I got the sun in the morning and the moon at night."
~Irving Berlin

"To be upset over what you don't have is to waste what you do have."
~Ken S. Keyes, Jr.

"It isn't our position but our disposition which makes us happy."
~Author Unknown
     

1 comment:

  1. I just have to add my AMEN to this post, Julie! Finding and celebrating the good in the midst of discouragement and dismay is a mark of maturity! Congratulations, and, "You go, girl!" ;-)

    ReplyDelete