Wednesday, July 11, 2012

ALL DIFFERENT, ALL UNIQUE

The personality profiling class being offered online intrigued me. I clicked the sign-up button when I realized it was free. Within seconds, my first 30-minute session arrived in my inbox.

I wasn't disappointed. The teaser that had hooked me was just a taste of what proved to be a fun and eye-opening five day course on personality types. I walked away with a better understanding of how I am wired. It even helped me see that some of my "weaknesses" can become strengths if I honor and channel them in healthy ways.

It wasn't just my own personality that I identified and learned about. By the second day of the course, I was beginning to take the information and start applying it to the people I am closest to. I got a peek into how they are designed, and why they think and act the way they do. And their areas of perceived "weakness" began to take on a whole new beauty.

Since finishing the course, I find myself seeing everyone in a different light. I'm not as easily frustrated. I notice I am cutting myself and others more slack. Who knew a free online course could equip me with a deeper understanding and appreciation for who we are created to be... all different, all unique.

The course has triggered some lively conversations in our household. My husband is "earth" ~ the stable, solid, reliable of the four types. Because he is wired this way, he tends to see things in black and white. This influences how he conducts himself. On the other hand, I am "water" ~ the soft, flowing, sensitive type. I see things in various shades of gray. We balance each other out. And now, thanks to the course, we are able to get a glimpse at how different our perspectives can be. We can respect and honor them instead of getting annoyed because we see some things so differently.

We are all beautiful in our own way. We all have gifts and strengths to share with each other and the world. We also have areas that some would label "weaknesses". How inspiring to know these weaknesses can be channeled into strengths.

We can respect our differences. We can balance each other out. Whether seeing the world in black and white or multiple shades of gray, we all have much to contribute. And we are all treasures in God's eyes, the handiwork of his marvelous design.

"Our similarities bring us to a common ground; our differences allow us to be fascinated with each other."
~Tom Robbins

"Men go abroad to wonder at the heights of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of the rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motions of the stars, and they pass by themselves without wondering." 
~St. Augustine       

No comments:

Post a Comment