Thursday, July 5, 2012

SWEET JULY

I couldn't help myself. Lingering under the covers on this unseasonably cool and overcast morning was just too hard to resist. My doxie Maggie seemed to agree. She remained burrowed inside her sheet, perfectly content to put off her early morning rituals.

It's sweet July ~ time for some of us to take that vacation we've been saving up for all year...time to read the novel everyone has been ranting and raving about...time to indulge ourselves with an afternoon nap on the backyard lounge chair.

For me, July is my "re" month. It's my season to relax, rest, recreate, retreat, reflect, reconnect, remember, reach out, re-organize, re-read an old favorite, and rejoice in the midst of it all. The year is half over. It's the perfect time to get some fresh perspective, put an old habit to rest, and look around at all that is good.

July is about finding balance. It's about making the choice to appreciate and enjoy life as it is in the here and now. It's about re-charging my batteries, up-ing my energy level, and delving into some personal dreams that seem unattainable the rest of the year.

But today, those things can wait. Because July is also the sweet month to celebrate our glorious freedoms. And the memory of last night's fireworks was fresh on my mind when I awakened. The coziness of my bed in the early morning hours was the perfect time to practice one of those freedoms, the freedom to relax.

The to-do list that was written in the back of my mind can wait. The furniture doesn't have to be dusted simply because this is the day of the week I normally dust. Leftover food in the kitchen will make a more than adequate meal tonight. And those weeds that seemed to appear overnight will still be there to greet me tomorrow. There will always be things to accomplish. But how many mornings will I set aside for savoring the moment? Not nearly enough. So today, I dug my feet a bit deeper under the covers and breathed in the freedom of this morning. It was the perfect way to celebrate this season called July.

How about you? If work and other demands force you out of bed at the crack of dawn, I hope you find a window of time that you can open up for renewal, and exercise your freedom to enjoy this sweet season.

"Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability." ~Sam Keen

"We need society, and we need solitude also, as we need summer and winter, day and night, exercise and rest." 
~Philip Gilbert Hamerton       

No comments:

Post a Comment