Monday, July 30, 2012

TEN THINGS

Living with purpose, passion, and right priorities...ah, the abundant life. How I long for this! I want to learn what this truly means, and make it the heartbeat of my daily life. And I don't want to take a more rugged path to get there if I can avoid it. Lift the blinders from my eyes, Lord. Unplug my ears. I am listening. Please speak to me...

Last night I opened my Bible to where the bookmark rested after my last reading...the Ten Commandments. I got to thinking about these Commandments versus the many laws that followed, laws that no longer apply. Thanks to the work on the cross, those laws are no longer our guidelines. We've been freed from all that.

But the Commandents? Different story. I began to see them in a new light. I asked God to show me what I've been missing. Sure, I know I am not supposed to kill, steal, lie, covet, etc. Then it hit me. These Ten Commandments hold a very precious key to that abundant life I long for. In this list I find direction and instruction on how to prioritize, and in doing so, live my life purposefully and passionately.

Even the order in which they are listed is speaking to me. First things first! And isn't that "key" in prioritizing and living with purpose? I have only begun this deeper journey into the Ten Commandments, but I can already see that the first four are my foundation. If I weave these into the fabric of my day to day existence, the other six will follow.

I also see that these Commandments were etched in stone because of God's immeasurable love for us. They were meant to be a blessing, not a burden. He knew we'd need a treasure map to help us find the most precious things we can experience on this earth. So He compiled a list and put it in stone, so we'd never forget.

May I just say I am bursting with excitement as I begin this journey with the Ten Commandments! I feel as if I've been holding onto a key for over twenty-five years, and I am finally realizing where it goes and what awaits me if I use it.

I hope you'll come along as I explore each one, step by step, in the order He's placed them. Priorities...purpose...passion ~ these are the things I long for, and I finally found the key.

"The rest of Scriptures are but a commentary on the Ten Commandments...Rightly understood, the precepts of the New Testament are but explications, amplifications and applications of the Ten Commandments."
~A. W. Pink

"The precepts of the Lord are right,
giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are radiant,
giving light to the eyes."
Psalm 19:8
      

No comments:

Post a Comment