Monday, August 13, 2012

SUCCESSFUL MARRIAGES

"You know the commandment which says, 'Be faithful in marriage.' But I tell you if you look at another woman and want her, you are already unfaithful in your thoughts." 
~Matthew 5:27-28, Contemporary English Version

I'll be honest. This topic scares me. I have heard the statistics and they are staggering. I choose not to share them. Because frankly, I am hoping they are flat out wrong. At the same time, I don't want to turn a blind eye and pretend my marriage is immune. I have to be real. We are human; we are all capable. The minute we deny this, we let down our guards and weaken our defense. Just saying.

Especially when we look at the rather harsh words Jesus spoke on the subject. He says if you so much as look at another person and want her (or him...he is speaking to both genders here), you are already guilty of being unfaithful. Before we throw our arms up in despair over such high expectations, let's think about his motive in saying this.

First of all, I don't believe this was intended to rob us of fun and pleasure. Afterall, he wired us to have physical desires. In truth, this longing for intimacy is a gift. But he sees a bigger picture, and he wants to protect us and our marriages. He knows it all begins in our thought life. If we desire someone other than our spouse, we have already taken the first step. And once we make that first step, we place ourselves on a very slippery slope. What's more, he sees the casualties if we continue down that path, and he wants to shield the innocent parties too.

My husband needs to be my biggest priority after God. It's that simple. Doing what I can to nurture our marriage and bless my hubby is my biggest calling. It's not always easy. In fact, some days it's close to impossible. But I have to consciously make the choice everyday to love my husband...to aim my affections towards him and him alone...even in my thought life.

The more I study it, the more I see this seventh Commandment as a beautiful gift sent from a loving Father who wants to protect us from...well...ourselves. He is not a killjoy. Just the opposite! He designed us for intimacy. But all desires need boundaries.

A healthy marriage is my number one priority. And I must say, there is NOTHING sexier than a faithful spouse.

"Success in God's kingdom is loving God, loving one another, and being faithful to what He's called us to do."
~Gabriel Wilson

"Faithfulness is not doing something right once but doing something right over and over and over and over."
~Joyce Meyer
               

No comments:

Post a Comment