Tuesday, September 18, 2012

THE COMPARISON GAME

"We will not compare ourselves with each other as if one of us were better and another worse. We have far more interesting things to do with our lives. Each of us is an original."
~Galatians 5, The Message

"Please don't compare me to other people," I replied. His comment, though not intended to be hurtful, still stung. To make matters worse, he was referring to something that was locked in the past. Even if I wanted to (and I did!), there's no way to turn back the hands of time for a do-over.

Most of the words he speaks to me are uplifting and full of praise. But they all fade into the background when he compares me...or us...to other people.

It's hard enough to rein in my own struggle with comparisons. I can be brutally hard on myself. Why can't I accomplish what she does? I could fill an entire journal on the ways I've played my own version of the comparison game. And I never come out of it winning.

So please don't compare me to others! Because I'll never measure up. I can only be the best version of myself. And the comparisons imply it's not good enough.

And let's not compare our lives to other people's. We all have unique circumstances, histories, and perspectives. No one else walks the exact path we do. We cannot take little pieces of their lives and superimpose them onto our own life picture. They won't fit. They will only frustrate us.

Today I challenged him to put to rest the comparison game. I challenged myself, too. How about you? Are you in need of this challenge? Rather than comparing ourselves or a loved one to another person, let's redirect our thoughts. Focus on the good stuff! Celebrate the accomplishments. And say no to the comparison game.

"Comparison is the thief of joy." 
~Theodore Roosevelt

"Do not underestimate yourself by comparing yourself with others. It's our differences that make us unique and beautiful."
~Author Unknown

"Never compare yourself or others to other people. Everyone has their own struggles,own fights, and a different path that they chose to get to where they are. Everyone is who they are for a reason."
~Author Unknown

     

No comments:

Post a Comment