Thursday, September 6, 2012

GOOD OLD DAYS

"The 'good old days' are not coming back, but there are great new days to be created."
~Rick Marton

I have been feeling very sentimental lately. As a mom with grown kids, I can't help but let my mind...and my heart...wander back in time. I miss those days when I was up to my eyeballs in carpools, homework, soccer practices, and welcoming a parade of the kids' friends into our home and our lives. Scavenger hunts in the backyard, fishing at the local pond, and creating gingerbread houses that wowed us all ~ these are just a few of my sacred memories knit deeply into my heart.

Though it wasn't the easiest season in life, I think my favorite was when I homeschooled our kids. We had our share of fights over assignments, and we didn't always get along beautifully. And I am sure there are a thousand ways I could have done a better job. Mostly, I remember the time we were able to spend learning and growing together. I wouldn't trade those years for anything. And I'd revisit them in a heartbeat.

But this too is a rich season. No doubt I will look back in the years to come and remember fondly the time, the conversations, and the fun I am having with our adult kids right now. And once again, I'll wish I could turn back the hands of time.

It's okay to look back with fondness and relive the happy memories. But it's even better to enjoy the here and now before it turns into "the good old days".

The house is quiet as I write this. My husband, son, and daughter are fast asleep, all three with a busy day ahead. Me? I couldn't sleep. My mind kept wandering back to those homeschooling days. But as I wrap this message up, I am seeing my family in my mind just as they are today. And I know I wouldn't trade this moment in time for anything.

I found this quote and loved it. This is for all you parents who are still up to your eyeballs in diapers, trips to the playground, parent-teacher meeetings, and a never ending list of things to do...
"If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play,
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging."
~Diane Loomans

  

No comments:

Post a Comment