Thursday, September 6, 2012

SWEET MEMORIES

"The best thing about memories is making them."
~Author Unknown

It has been a grueling week. Along with some very emotionally charged moments with relatives and friends, I have done attic combat. Hear me out. Then you can decide if I am worthy of a purple heart.

Last December's hurricane-force winds took with it a large chunk of our roof. We live in a one hundred year old house. Like other "projects" done to our home over the years, previous owners didn't tackle re-roofing properly. We have not one, but four roofs over our heads, all needing to come down in preparation for the new one. Because of the incalculable weight of the four roofs, the rafters have taken a beating, and they also need attention.

All that to say, EVERYTHING in our attic must come down ~ at least, the things "we care about". Our attic runs the entire span of our home. And what did we do with all that space? We filled it, of course!

The past few days I have spent upstairs  ~ sorting, tossing, and carrying endless boxes from the attic to the garage. It hasn't been all bad. In fact, it's fit in nicely with my determination to de-clutter and get organized. It's also been entertaining. Among the items I have stumbled on ~ well, some are worthy of a prize:

MOST SENTIMENTAL ~ love notes from my husband
MOST TEAR-EVOKING ~ cards made for us by our kids when they were little
STRANGEST ~ my very long ponytail from when I was 8 years old and got my first haircut...and it still has a curl in it
MOST DISGUSTING (might as well keep this real!) ~ an artificial Christmas tree with an old ___nest in it (forgive me, I cannot bring myself to use the "R" word!)
FUNNIEST ~ my troll dolls nestled in their troll house...remember trolls??
SADDEST ~ items that belonged to our beloved dog Nathan before his passing
HISTORICAL ~ the trunk my mom took with her all over the world when she was a little girl
USELESS ~ my wedding shoes, now 2 sizes too small.

In the midst of all the chaos, my husband and I exchanged frustrated words. "Why do we have to keep all this junk?" he pressed.

"Why don't you understand that these things hold meaning to me?" I answered in a less than kind tone.

But there was a tender exchange between us when I stumbled on my ponytail. As I held it up to my head to show him my treasure, he smiled and said, "Hey, your hair is still the same color!"

And that moment won for SWEETEST.

"Life is short, live it. Love is rare, grab it. Anger is bad, dump it. Fear is awful, face it. Memories are sweet, cherish them."
~Author Unknown

"Memory is a way of holding onto things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose."
~From The Wonder Years

"Sometimes you will never know the true value of a moment until it becomes a memory."
~Author Unknown

"Laugh your heart out, cherish the memories, and put the pain to rest, because we only have one life to live."
~Author Unknown 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment