Monday, September 10, 2012

WHY I PRAY

"Heaven is full of answers to prayers for which no one ever bothered to ask."
~Billy Graham

You will never convince me otherwise. I am living proof. The act of prayer changes things. Because it welcomes in the One who can change anything.

This weekend my husband and I drove over two hundred miles up the coast to be with some dear friends. It's a drive I have done at least a hundred times. "Four hours to enjoy the scenery and converse with God," I thought. With my list in hand, I lifted up people (you may have been one of them!), problems, and praises. When we arrived, I was refreshed, unburdened, and ready for the weekend.

Our trip home was also a time of prayer. But this time, I prayed with more urgency and less verbiage. I found myself behind the wheel after dark. For me, this is not a good thing! I don't see well on the freeways once the sun goes down. The headlights from oncoming cars distort and limit my vision. But I had no choice. While we were away, my husband hurt his back. He was in too much pain to drive. "Get us safely home," was my constant internal prayer as I clutched the steering wheel and strained to see the road amidst the constant glare.

There is power in prayer! Not because of the words themselves, but because prayer plugs us into the greatest power source. Prayer changes things. Not because of the eloquence of our words, but because we are speaking with the One who has omnipotent ability to change anything and anyone.

Prayer ushers in healing. Sometimes it's physical. But often it's a deeper healing that involves our emotional and spiritual well-being. Prayer dispels fear and anxiety. Not because of some magical element to our expression, but because we are releasing these toxic emotions to our wise and all-knowing Counselor.

Prayer sets our priorities in order. It reminds us that God and people are what truly matter most. Prayer strengthens relationships. Whether we are agreeing in prayer with another person or praying on our own, it opens our eyes and softens our hearts to someone else's journey.

Prayer draws us into the presence of God our Creator. It gives us glimpses into His character. If that isn't reason enough to pray, I don't know what is.

Life throws many things at us that are difficult to process, deal with, and understand. In the midst of all our tragedies and triumphs, He is there, longing to commune with us. And the best part ~ He is only a prayer away, eager to guide us safely home.

"God does not stand afar off as I struggle to speak. He cares enough to listen with more than casual attention. He translates my scrubby words, and hears what is truly inside. He hears my sighs and uncertain gropings as fine prose."
~Timothy Jones

"Prayer does not fit us for the greater work, prayer is the greater work."
~Oswald Chambers

"There is not in the world a kind of life more sweet and delightful than that of a continual conversation with God."
~Brother Lawrence

1 comment:

  1. It is such a delight to read your blog.
    THERE IS NOTHING LIKE THE POWER OF PRAYER TIME.

    Blessings always,
    Kim "Kimmer" aka Twinkie :)

    ReplyDelete