Friday, October 26, 2012

COVERED

"Don't bother cleaning the house today. This is going to be a messy job," my husband told me as he walked through our living room with a large roll of insulation. Our five layers of dilapidated roof-on-top-of-roof were replaced last month with a much needed new one. Now it's time to insulate our attic before the cooler temperatures make an appearance.

My husband was right about the mess. The scent of one hundred year old dirt, accumulated above us since our bungalow was built, is wafting through the house. The swirls of dust are settling on every surface, visible and remote. Once again, I will be giving our residence an unseasonal "spring-cleaning".

So what is the lesson for me in all of this? I think there are a few to be gleaned. First, life is always going to hold its share of messes. Just when it looks like one has been cleaned up, there's another one on its heels, kicking up dust. Dirt from the past may appear as an unwelcome visitor. Try as we might, there's no getting around the fact that life is messy! It's all part of the package while we journey on earth.

Here's another thing I am learning ~ as unpleasant as they seem, the messes don't have to drag us down. We can focus on the positives and see each messy situation as a challenge...even a blessing. My blessing in today's plume of dust? A husband and future son-in-law hard at work...an insulated attic...the time and ability to tackle the mess...a home to complain about!

The new roof and insulation leads me to another lesson ~ my ultimate Covering. It doesn't matter how strong, courageous, and optimistic we are. We still live in a world that is chalk full of unknown dangers, threats, and evil influences. We can remain exposed, or we can choose to place ourselves under God's protective covering. I want the daily presence of the One who is my Shield and Refuge in every storm. Only He can insulate me from the enemy's attempts to harm the body, mind, and spirit. Like those five layers of roof that used to cover us, I can turn to other sources of protection that appear sufficient. Or I can position myself under His covering, knowing it's the safest place to weather life's storms.

Tomorrow I will get out my duster and vacuum. And today? His covering and His insulation are more than enough to put a smile on this dusty, sneezy face.

"You are my safe refuge, a fortress where my enemies cannot reach me."
~Psalm 61:3

"God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble."
~Psalm 46:1

"I love you, Lord; you are my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety."
~Psalm 18:1,2

"May the strength of God pilot us, may the wisdom of God instruct us, may the hand of God protect us, may the word of God direct us."
~St. Patrick

      

No comments:

Post a Comment