Friday, November 30, 2012

ANGELS AND ANIMALS ~ SUMMER DAISY

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
~Anatole France

The house is so quiet. It's just shy of midnight and I can't sleep. Curled up at my bedside is our beloved cat Summer Daisy. This is her last night to be with us. If she makes it through the night, we will be saying our goodbyes in the morning.

Summer came to us eleven years ago, at the end of our daughter's eighth grade. She had wanted a white kitten. But when she saw Summer in the pet store, Kelly knew she was the one for her. So full of personality, an average name seemed insufficient. Summer Daisy Angelface Mayonnaise Socks became her given name, such a long name for the littlest cat I've ever known.

Summer remained petite in size, but her heart seemed larger than life. She always knew when someone (human or animal) was upset. She had the gentlest way of coming alongside us and bringing comfort. Her keen intuition and her tender demeanor had me convinced long ago that Summer was an angel in disguise. I've held to that belief ever since. Please don't try to explain theologically how this can't be true. You won't convince me. Some things are beyond our comprehension.

When our doxie Nathan passed away last year, Summer lost her best friend. She went into mourning. For weeks, she curled up on top of his blanket under our bed. It was the next best thing to cuddling her favorite four-legged pal. I believe Nathan is in heaven, waiting expectantly for Summer's arrival. I can see them now, playfully greeting each other, then finding a shady spot to curl up together.   

Our family has loved and lost dogs and cats. It's always painful to let them go. But it's the price we pay for pouring our hearts into our animals. As a family, this is what we do. We are animal lovers, and those we welcome into our home become family members.

I have a heavy heart as I say goodbye. Summer, we have quite a history together. Your love and affection have seen me through some rough seasons. I can't put into words the ways you have blessed me. I only hope you feel the same. I will miss you dearly, my furry friend. But you will always live on in my memories and my heart.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!"
~Theophile Gautier

"Cats are angels with whiskers."
~Author Unknown

"One small cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home."
~Pam Brown      

No comments:

Post a Comment