Thursday, November 8, 2012

I BOW DOWN

I was a young adult, searching. I had a void in my life I longed to fill. I knew I was missing out on something larger than my little life had experienced. And whatever it was, I wanted it.

I was curious about God. But the little bits of information I accumulated confused me. The pieces of this vast puzzle weren't fitting together. I couldn't find reasonable answers to questions that lingered. One in particular tripped me up every time I tried to find a path to faith in God. If He is the One true God, why would He need people to bow down to Him? What was the point of worship? My skewed thinking led me to wonder if He was the ultimate ego maniac. It didn't add up.

Thankfully, I put those false notions to rest. And as I got to know Him, I came to realize that His love for us is at the heart of why He calls us to come ~ bow down ~ and worship.

God knows if we aren't bowing down to Him, we will be bowing to something or someone else. He knows the act of worshiping Him keeps us from worshiping others. And He longs to spare us of this. Because He knows what we don't. The other things...and other people, will never satisfy. They are a temporary fix to an unending need that only He can fill in us.

It's  a daily decision. Who or what will I worship? Today, I bow down to the King of kings and Lord of lords ~ in awe, in praise, in thanksgiving.

How about you? Who or what do you exalt in your daily life? Yourself? A family member? A paycheck? Your home? A leader? An image? Or God? Friend, only He can fill the void. Only God deserves to be on the throne. Only He can satisfy.

Come, let us worship and bow down...

"Worship changes the worshiper into the image of the One worshiped."
~Jack Hayford

"Whatever people worship, that is what they inevitably serve."
~Daniel Fuller

"Worship is our innermost being responding with praise for all that God is, through our attitudes, actions, thoughts, and words, based on the truth of God as He has revealed Himself."
~John MacArthur

"Come, let us bow down and worship Him;
let us kneel before the LORD, our Maker!"
~Psalm 95:6

"So here I am in the place of worship, eyes open, drinking in your strength and glory. In your generous love I am really living at last! My lips brim praises like fountains. I bless you every time I take a breath; my arms wave like banners of praise to you."
~Psalm 63:2-4, The Message

"Exalt the Lord our God! Bow low before His feet, for He is holy!"
~Psalm 99:5

       

No comments:

Post a Comment