Monday, November 5, 2012

MY HEART'S DESIRES

"Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of life."
~Proverbs 4:23

"Be careful what you wish for...you might get it." I used to blow this comment off as a cynical remark. I couldn't see past the tone to find the gift woven in the message.

But the truth is, the desires of our hearts often dictate the course of our day-to-day lives. You can usually tell what matters most to someone by looking at how they spend their time and resources.

With only one life to venture through, I want to keep a close watch over my heart. The true desires of my heart have nothing to do with accumulating more stuff or taking extravagant trips. But these frills can look so intriguing. If I'm not careful, they can mask as my heart's desires, and take me off course.

The desires of my heart go much deeper. And they've been a part of me for as long as I can remember. From the time I was a little girl, it's been the same three things ~ being a wife and mom, being a blessing to others and the world around me, and being a writer.

I look back at my life and see how short I have fallen on all three paths. I love my husband and children, but what I wouldn't give to turn back the clock and do a better job as a wife and mom.

Blessing others and the world around me? Sure, I have pulled this off from time to time. But I am more apt to drop the ball and look back, wishing I'd done more.

And being a writer...this is perhaps my greatest challenge because I can't force the doors open to a writing career. All the books and devotionals I have written don't carry with them the promise that I will become a published author.

It's when I let myself give in to frustration, regret, and doubt in these three key areas that I find my heart wandering. It goes to something more tangible and attainable. But the truth is, those secondary longings never satisfy. Because they have nothing to do with the true desires of my heart.

"Be careful what you wish for...you might get it." One can hope! Or go a step further. And jump in. With both feet. And give it all you've got.

Proverbs 4 warns to "be careful", "keep vigilant watch", and "guard" our hearts. Our heart's desires are too precious to do any less. And when they've been a part of us our whole lives, I believe they'll surely come to pass.

"Walk with the dreamers, the believers, the courageous, the cheerful, the planners, the doers, the successful people with their heads in the clouds and their feet on the ground. Let their spirit ignite a fire within you to leave this world better than you found it."
~Author Unknown

"You will always gravitate to that which you secretly most love. Men do not attain that which they want but that which they are."
~James Allen

"If you want to know where your heart is, look where your mind goes when it wanders."
~Author Unknown

        

No comments:

Post a Comment