Monday, November 12, 2012

SACRED MONDAY

My Monday began like most days. Alarm set, I was eager and energized to jump in and tackle my to-do list. Our home has felt a bit neglected lately, as aging parents have been needing more of my time and attention.

"Where do I begin?" I asked myself. So many things were calling to me. Chores, errands, and pets all seemed to be screaming at once, begging to be first on my list. I reminisced about a time in my life when I was able to multi-task. I could accomplish several things at once so effortlessly. Not anymore. Lately, if I am not completely present in whatever the task at hand is, I get distracted and drop the ball.

But with the beginning of a new week upon me, I opened my eyes with an optimistic outlook. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me," I reminded myself as my feet hit the floor. I'd been chanting this verse to myself all weekend. Now it was time to put action to my words.

I spent the morning productively cruising through the first section of my list. How good it felt to check off item after item on the paper. Laundry got done. The kitchen was cleaned. Even the refrigerator got a bit of a makeover. I ran my errands and planned our meals for the week. And in the midst of it all, I managed to take the dogs for a walk.

Mid morning I looked at my handwritten notes and all that was checked off. Why did I feel so unsatisfied? Was it because I still had things left to do...and more than I could hope to accomplish in one day? No, that wasn't it. Something was missing.

I sat down with my cup of tea and grabbed my devotionals, my Bible, and my prayer list. My spirit was hungry. And as I refreshed myself in His Word and in quiet praise, I was reminded how much I need and want Him in every moment of my day. Errands, chores, and projects are of value. But they become sacred when I invite God in and welcome His presence as I go about my busyness.

With my arms elbow deep in dirty dishes and while scrubbing the kitchen floor, I can consecrate ~ set apart for God ~ every hour of my day. I don't have to be idle or silent to walk that holy path with Him.

The day isn't over. But I must say, it's been a blessed Monday. As I continue to chisel away at my overly optimistic goals, I am energized. Because I know that whatever I accomplish or fail to do, I am in the best company. However it plays out, my day is well spent if I stay in step with Him.

"There is not in the world a kind of life more sweet and delightful than that of a continual conversation with God."
~Brother Lawrence

"The time of business does not differ with me from the time of prayer; and in the noise and clatter of my kitchen, while several persons are at the same time calling for different things, I possess God in as great tranquility as if I were on my knees."
~Brother Lawrence

"You have said, 'Seek My face.'
My heart says to You,
'Your face, Lord, do I seek.'"
~Psalm 27:8              

     

No comments:

Post a Comment