Thursday, January 24, 2013

RIGHT OR WRONG

"There is more right with you than wrong with you."
~Joyce Meyer

"What's wrong?" a friend asked me. I guess the haggard look on my face was her first clue.

Where do I begin, I thought. My mind whirled as it attempted to re-cap every circumstance that was weighing heavily upon my mind.

I tried to give a general summary of some of the events that were occurring simultaneously. Events that, in and of themselves, weren't all that earth-shattering. The ones that felt too personal to share I kept tucked away. Only God needed to know about those. Still, they were front and center in my own thought-life.

For two days I reassessed that conversation and the fact that I'd been so overcome with hard stuff, I'd allowed it to take over. Even my facial expressions were revealing the worries I was lugging around with me.

This isn't how I want to live! Circumstances may not change, but my focus, my perspective, and my response can change. I don't have to let the hard stuff mold me into an overwhelmed, burdened, haggard woman. No thank you!

This morning, a word from a teacher spoke volumes to my mind and heart. "There's more right with you than wrong with you," she stated emphatically as she taught on having peace in the midst of life's storms.

Today, I let that truth sink in. There's more right circumstances than wrong ones. There's more to rejoice over than complain about. There's more good happening than bad.

It's true with people too. Even those who have me scratching my head in frustration. There's more right in them than wrong. There's more to celebrate in their personalities and their lives than to complain about. There's more to acknowledge and embrace than criticize and get upset about.

Me too. I'm so good at nitpicking and dwelling on all I notice about myself that seems wrong and unlovable. But if I give honest reflection, there's more right in me than wrong.

I sense God smiling at this revelation. Yes, child. Now you get it! Now you see! Focus on the positives, and let Me handle the negatives.

It's too good an offer to pass up. And I find my smile has returned, right where it belongs.

"What's right?" That's my new question.

"If you can wear the hard times of your life as furrows on your brow, you can wear the good times as a twinkle in your eye."
~Robert Brault   

"Change your thoughts and you change your world."
~Norman Vincent Peale

"Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day."
~Author Unknown

"A cloudy day is no match for a sunny disposition."
~William Arthur Ward

"Give goodness to the day and before you know it, the day will be giving goodness to you."
~Terri Guillemets

"Fill your minds with those things that are good and that deserve praise: things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and honorable."
~Philippians 4:8

"Being cheerful keeps you healthy. It is slow death to be gloomy all the time."
~Proverbs 17:22

"Peace I leave with you; My [own] peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.]"
~John 14:27 Amplified Bible

"Those who enter into Christ's being-here-for-us no longer have to live under a continuous, low-lying black cloud. A new power is in operation. The Spirit of life in Christ, like a strong wind, has magnificently cleared the air..."
~Romans 8:1,2 The Message    

No comments:

Post a Comment