Monday, February 4, 2013

FIX IT

"The difference is Christ in me. Not me in a different set of circumstances."
~Elisabeth Elliot

A quick fix. It sounds so appealing. God snaps His fingers and, BOOM. It's done. Taken care of. Another victory on the score card.

But God says no. A quick fix might change the circumstance. But it doesn't address the hidden issues. It's the underlying stuff He has His eye on. While we cry out for relief from our circumstances, His goal is to bring us a much deeper healing and victory. And God knows we need it, even when we don't have a clue.

I know what He is telling me as I stand knee-deep in stuff that cries out to be fixed. Do the hard work. Press through. Stay focused on the prize. Hold unswervingly to the hope He alone offers. Trust Him for the outcome.

But I'm tired, Lord. I'm exhausted from dealing with the hard stuff. I want You to fix it. Now!

Instead, He comes alongside me ~ in a message on paper, encouragement from a friend, a passage of Scripture. He fills my thoughts with reminders of the faithful work He's already accomplished in and around me.

So I drink in His refreshment. I wipe my brow, and pick up my tools. I give it my best. It's okay that it's not enough. Because He is enough, and therein lies my peace. It doesn't matter how weak I feel when He is my strength.

Yes! I'd love a quick fix. For everything that feels broken. But more than the fix, I want the One who alone can fix it. Fix me, Lord. Fix my heart...my mind...my spirit. I fix my hope on You. You are more than able.

A quick fix or God's fix. I see they aren't synonymous. This hard work, it can only be done on my knees.

"Let us hold unservingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful."
~Hebrews 10:23

"My thoughts," says the Lord, "are not like yours, and my ways are different from yours. As high as the heavens are above the earth, so high are my thoughts above yours."
~Isaiah 55:8,9
     
"Don't you know? Haven't you heard? The Lord is the everlasting God; he created all the world. He never grows tired or weary. No one understands his thoughts. He strengthens those who are weak and tired. Even those who are young grow weak; young people fall exhausted. But those who trust in the Lord for help will find their strength renewed. They will rise on wings like eagles; they will run and not get weary; they will walk and not grow weak."
~Isaiah 40:28-31

"Now begin the work, and may the Lord be with you."
~1 Chronicles 22:16b

"You must be strong and not be discouraged. The work you do will be rewarded."
~2 Chronicles 15:7

"Cheer up! Because I, the [Lord] All-Powerful, will be here to help you with the work, just as I promised...Don't worry. My Spirit is right here with you."
~Haggai 2:4,5 

No comments:

Post a Comment