Friday, March 1, 2013

PURPLE MATTRESSES

I lifted the purple air mattress off the couch and wrestled it into the guest room. Though unsightly, it's the only thing that keeps our doxie from jumping onto the couch when we are away. "Why don't you ever move this thing? It's awkward for me to handle," I complained to my husband as he nestled himself into his favorite chair.

I was dumfounded by his response. "I didn't see it. Sorry, honey."

"How can you not notice a huge, bright purple mattress draped across the couch?! This happens everytime we get home." He shrugged his shoulders and I pressed on. "Is this a passive-aggressive thing?"

"No, honey. I'm sorry. I didn't notice it. I guess I'm just used to it being there." I can read my husband like a book. The sincerity in his tone and his facial expression told me he was being completely honest.

As I sat on the couch later that evening, I realized something. Though his is much more obvious and very tangible, many of us can be quite adept at overlooking our own "purple mattresses". Things that seem obvious to outsiders looking in can fall off our radar. We develop blind spots.

Some of us manage to sweep under the rug unhealthy patterns in our lives and our family dynamics. Destructive behaviors aren't seen as a problem because we've grown accustomed to them.

I am just as guilty as my husband of overlooking some "purple mattresses" in my own life...and in my family. Maybe more so!

Lord, open my eyes to see what I need to see. Help me to recognize my "purple mattresses" for what they are. Help me to accept hard truths, not judgmentally, but with an open heart and a discerning mind. I don't want to look back one day, shake my head, and wonder how I missed the obvious.

We cannot deal with what we don't see and acknowledge. Give us eyes to see, and healthy ways to work through our "purple mattresses" that will speak love, acceptance, and healing to those who need it most.

"Sincerity and truth are what you require; fill my mind with your wisdom." 
~Psalm 51:6

"Use wisdom and understanding to establish your home; let good sense fill the rooms with priceless treasures."
~Proverbs 24:3,4

"If you are willing to start seeking truth in every situation, you will grow spiritually and begin to experience more freedom and joy than ever before."
~Joyce Meyer

 


 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done a great job. I will definitely dig it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site. black friday mattress

    ReplyDelete