Thursday, April 11, 2013

NO GREATER RIDE

From where I sit, he's just a speck in the water. The vast ocean surrounds him, the white caps pushing him back while he paddles all the harder.

I can imagine the intent in his eyes as he presses into the waves, moving farther from the shore line. He finds his sweet spot and waits, sitting patiently, watching for the one that will make it all worth it.

And I sit, protected from the howling winds, in the cozy warmth of our truck. Watching. Cheering him on. Tasting the salty thrill he must be feeling.

In no time, he catches a wave. Then another. And another. The passion for surfing he's carried inside of him since he was a young boy, it remains. And today, it comes alive again. The broad grin on his face, the exhiliration in his voice, and his boyish laughter...they're back.

This man who gives up his life each day to feed and to clothe, to house and to protect, he's my hero. My dearest friend.

In the early morning sunlight, every flaw, every wrinkle, every extra pound revealed itself. And we marveled at how we don't see it, don't even care. Like a home that grows only more beautiful over the years, with stories to tell and chock full of life, that's what we see. He's my home, my resting place. And I am his, while we walk this journey together.

He caught another wave. I don't have to see his expression up close to know the joy he's experiencing. I feel it too. Just watching.

There are a million reasons to grow tired, frustrated, annoyed, and upset with your spouse. But to be able to look past all that, and just love and enjoy the person you've been sharing your life with for decades? There's no greater ride.

Board tucked under his arm, he walks along the sand towards our truck. "Good job, honey. You looked great!" This day, it's a treasure. And I marvel that he still makes my heart leap, after all these years.

"Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years."
~Simone Signoret

"Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self. Love doesn't want what it doesn't have...Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, Puts up with anything, Trusts God always, Always looks for the best, Never looks back, But keeps going to the end."
~From 1 Corinthians 13, The Message     

No comments:

Post a Comment