Saturday, June 1, 2013

TREASURE HUNT

"Attitude is the difference between an ordeal and an adventure." ~Author Unknown

When he first began to approach the subject, I have to admit, I cringed. I think I even laughed at such an outrageous idea.

When he continued to revisit the whole topic, I tried to muster up an open mind and an expression of interest. Afterall, he seemed serious about the whole idea. But on the inside, I was wrestling with a case of heartbreak, anxiety, and a sense of pending loss.

Give up our home? Really??

As the possibility began to sink in, things worsened. My mind started to wander into the future. I began to imagine the torture it would be to daily witness others occupying our family home while we resided in the granny flat behind it. I envisioned myself walking down our driveway, listening to new voices filling our living room. And a cloak of dread would wash over me.

If that wasn't bad enough, I pictured my husband and I occupying the one room attached to our garage. Where would we fit everything? Would we be able to stand living together in such a small space, day in and day out? How would we entertain guests? Everytime my mind went to these unknown places, my wall of resistance grew.

Then something happened. I don't even know what changed things. But very slowly ~ over weeks, months, even years of discussing it ~  the challenges and host of negatives I saw and felt have faded. And in their place, a sense of freedom, adventure, and relief have flooded my spirit.

Less is more. That is the essence of what I've been learning lately. The things I've held onto so dearly have had too strong a hold on me. It's time to let go.

A treasure in the hand can't compare with those we acquire in the heart. I invite you to join me as I begin this path of discovery. I'll do the leg work. And I commit to transparency, even on the dark days.

Who knows what treasures await us?!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."
~Elisabeth Elliot

"Do not gather and heap up and store for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust and worm consume and destroy, and where thieves break through and steal. But gather and heap up and store for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust nor worm consume and destroy, and where thieves do not break through and steal; for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."
~Matthew 6:19-21, The Amplified Bible

 


No comments:

Post a Comment