Sunday, July 21, 2013

BOXED UP MEMORIES

"One more box," I tell myself. Bending down to avoid another close encounter with the low ceiling, I inch my way toward the back of the attic.

"This is why I want to be more organized," I audibly chide myself. Each box is a mystery. I don't know what I'll find as I lift another lid.

The heat of the summer day is making its presence known as I commit to just one more project. Settling onto a pillow, I lift the dusty lid to see what treasures await me.

Maybe it's this season of transition, saying goodbye to the familiar while waiting for the unknowns around the bend. Or maybe it's the culmination of raising a family of four. All I know is my emotions are raw. One minute I'm laughing at clothing I wore twenty years ago. The next, I'm in tears, wondering where the time went.

Today's treasures take my breath away. The sweat on my brow mingles with unexpected tears as I lift each content out of the box. Reliving the moments is bittersweet. A small ziplock baggie of brown locks from my son's first hair cut. A colorful picture my daughter drew as a pre-schooler, her attempts to cheer me up when I wasn't feeling well. Dozens of momentos, pieces of history, all nestled in an unmarked box.

I don't feel the heat in the attic anymore. Just the pulse of my heart as it swells with sweet memories. I want to climb into that cardboard box and relive it all. I want the days of crayons and matchbox cars and barbies back.

Our house has become a museum of boxes as we sort, pack, and prepare for our daughter's move out of state. And this mama's heart cries, "NO!" Stop the clock. Hit the reverse button. I want a re-do.

I close the box. The contents will remain safely tucked in our attic for now. They're too much a part of this heart. I can't let them go. When I feel the need to revisit those fleeting, messy, beautiful days of childrearing, I can open the box. With kleenex closeby. And transport myself back in time when bedtime stories and teddy bears were a part of each glorious day.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."
~Robert Brault

"Stockpile treasures in heaven, where it's safe from moth and rust and burglars. It's obvious, isn't it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being."
~Matthew 6:20, 21 The Message

No comments:

Post a Comment