Tuesday, July 16, 2013

EYES TO SEE

"I saw the Lord, high and exalted, seated on a throne, and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him were seraphim...And they were calling to one another: 'Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory.'"
~From Isaiah 6

My prayer list in hand, I began my petitions too casually. I wasn't praying for myself, but I was conscious of how good it would feel if my prayers for others were answered.

But then it hit me ~like a ton of bricks. If God was standing visibly in front of me, would I be so casual in my requests?

No! If I could see Jesus beside me, I'd fall down on my knees in utter worship. I would be trembling in holy awe of being in the presence of Almighty God. Speechless by his glory, I'd find it impossible to make eye contact with him, feeling so unworthy to be in his presence.

But isn't that exactly where I am, with my prayer list in hand, and my head bowed low? Though my physical eyes can't see him, I have a heart knowledge of his presence. That's what faith is ~ believing in what we can't see. Perhaps I couldn't handle such a glorious vision.

The seraphim saw him, and their response was complete worship. "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty. The whole earth is full of his glory."

The WHOLE earth?! Why can't I see it? Eyes too tainted by sin, I cannot behold such glory. Eyes too focused on the temporal, I can't even glimpse at eternity.

My list of people to pray for sits by my side. Their faces and circumstances flood my thoughts. And I realize, as I pray, my focus must shift to him who already knows what my list looks like. Because God inhabits the praises of his people, then worship should be the heartbeat of my prayer time.

And in complete adoration of him who is with me, even when my worldly eyes don't see him, I can lift these dear people to his throne with praise instead of worry, adoration rather than obligation.

"Holy, holy, holy...the whole earth is full of his glory." Open my eyes, Lord. I want to see Jesus.

"Happy the soul that has been awed by a view of God's majesty."
~A. W. Pink

No comments:

Post a Comment