Saturday, September 20, 2014

MORE THAN I CAN HANDLE

There's that message again. and I can't seem to reconcile it to this life. "God never gives you more than you can handle." Really? And I wrestle because, yes ~ He does allow circumstances that push us way beyond our ability to cope.

I have read that verse, studied it backwards and forwards. Hoping I will see what they see. And in searching for one misquoted promise, I stumble on another I know to be true.  "No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he'll never let you be pushed past your limit; he'll always be there to help you come through it." (1 Corinthians 10:13, The Message) 

It's talking about temptation. God won't allow us to be tempted beyond what we are capable of enduring. This tells me he strengthens our resolve. But he doesn't bubble wrap us to protect us from all the crummy things this world can throw our way.

If God allows us to experience moments that reach beyond our capacity to cope, what does that tell me about a loving God? It can feel like a contradiction.

But it's not. The more I journey with God, the clearer I see. One of the most loving attributes of his character is his Father heart that allows us to face some pretty harsh and unbearable stuff. It is ONLY on these rugged paths we are able to encounter him in ways that can blow our minds with his goodness and take our very breath away.

There is a holy beauty of our all-powerful God we can become intimately acquainted with on these grueling trails. Because we NEED him at the very core of our being. We long for a fresh encounter that will somehow encourage us to press on, believing it will be worth it in the end.

Yes, I believe God gives us way more than we can handle. But he doesn't leave us to fend for ourselves. He comes alongside us to teach, encourage, strengthen, and heal us in places we didn't even realize were broken. This is the work of our loving Father.

"God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains; it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world."
~C.S. Lewis

"Blessings alone do not open our eyes. Indeed, blessings by themselves tend to close our eyes. We do not come to know Him in the blessing, but in the breaking." 
~Chip Brogden

No comments:

Post a Comment