Thursday, January 1, 2015

RUNNING ON EMPTY

"THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD;
I HAVE EVERYTHING I NEED.
HE LETS ME REST IN FIELDS OF GREEN GRASS
AND LEADS ME TO QUIET POOLS OF FRESH WATER.
HE GIVES ME NEW STRENGTH.
HE GUIDES ME IN THE RIGHT PATHS,
AS HE HAS PROMISED."
 ~Psalms 23:1-3

Christmas morning wasn't like other Christmases. I sat in the peaceful desert terrain, no big meal to create. No stack of gifts to pass out. The snow-capped mountain range down the road from where they live looked like a Christmas card sent straight from heaven for us to enjoy. Breathing in the crisp morning air, I stared at those mountains, and thought about the gifts God has poured into my life. Too many to count. But so often overlooked.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you," I silently chanted over and over as gift after gift came to mind.  Prayers muttered in utter desperation...answered. Needs met. Hopes replenished. Lessons in abundance doing a radical work on my mind, my heart, my spirit. "Thank you!" I couldn't stop whispering those two words.

The silence, it felt like cool water refreshing a parched and weary body and soul. No chores to tend to, no calls to make. No appointments to hurry off to. Just this vast morning of quiet and stillness, filling me up with what I needed most.

Running on empty...it's a dangerous trend. Push push push to get it all done. Rush here, rush there, and all the while, feeling as though I am on a treadmill, trying to do a juggling act. Going absolutely nowhere.

Activities, errands, and appointments can be cruel dictators if we let them. And I realize, one of the best resolutions I can make this New Year is to stop...pause...rest...get refueled.  Not once or twice a year, but on a regular basis. I need to give myself consistent time to get replenished and renewed.

Because running on empty...it gets us nowhere.

"Come to me, all of you who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest."
~Matthew 11:28

"Jesus said, 'Let's go off by ourselves to a quiet place and rest awhile.'"
~Mark 6:31


Copyright 2015 by Julie Cowell.


No comments:

Post a Comment