Tuesday, November 10, 2015

DIRTY WORK

The dirt was everywhere. I could feel the earthy residue in my nose as I breathed in deeply. Even my eyes were achy and itchy from the dust. I stood and stretched, then brushed myself off and headed for the bathroom.

I was startled when I caught a glance in the mirror. Little remnants of a long morning's work clung to my hair. Though I hadn't known it was possible, even my lips wore a gray, dusty hue.

Last year, I learned how to get over my need to always be clean. There were endless projects crying out to be completed quickly, and I slowly accepted the truth, it's okay to get dirty!

Just as I've learned to embrace the dirt, I am also grabbing hold of another truth. There are people  around me who are standing knee deep in disarray. They have had messy circumstances flung at them. And God is asking me to consider getting into the trenches with them. He's encouraging me to position myself in difficult places I've resisted in the past.

And I realize, by entering into the trenches, I'm bound to get a bit dirty, too. The deeper I go, the messier it's going to get. Jumping into someone else's pit experience can be very uncomfortable. It can even be grueling. Just like the work we did on our property.

I love the idea of a clean, polished appearance (though I've never really pulled it off). But I'm learning to let it go. Get dirty. Say yes to God and position myself in those messy places so He can use my hands, my feet, my voice. I can do NOTHING in my own strength. But I can show up. And let him do the work through me.

How about you? Has God been calling you into any trenches lately? Are you knee deep in your own messy circumstances? Let's encourage each other. And put aside the need to have a neat and tidy life.

"He comes alongside us when we go through hard times, and before you know it, he brings us alongside someone else who is going through hard times so that we can be there for that person just as God was there for us." 2 Corinthians 1:4 The Message




No comments:

Post a Comment