Thursday, November 5, 2015

LIFE LESSONS

Maybe it's the teacher in me. Always, I am compelled to discover whatever lesson is buried in my circumstances. I want to find it! I want to grab hold and let it sink in. I don't want to have to repeat the same lessons over and over in order to learn.

Here I sit. In God's classroom. Pen and paper in hand. Waiting. Wanting so badly to see the lesson, glean the wisdom, and adjust my life accordingly.

My eyes are planted on my Teacher. But I get so distracted. There's always a pull to plant my attention elsewhere. Scattered thinking doesn't help.

Perhaps this is my lesson. Learning to wait, to focus, to remain fixed on my Teacher ~ this might be the ultimate lesson.

Waiting is so hard! This culture we live in doesn't help. Always, there's the ongoing message to rush...accomplish...push ahead...stay busy...go - go - go. Nothing gets done when you're idle. Nothing is accomplished when you're still.

But I'm beginning to think, maybe we've been sold a bill of goods! Maybe some of God's best work comes to us in those quiet, still moments. Could it be that our hurriedness and busyness drowns out the lessons our Teacher longs to give to us?

Seasons of quiet...of waiting...of stillness ~ they are a gift. When we embrace them as such, and open them reverently and thankfully, glorious lessons pour into us. Wisdom we could never unearth on our own begins to seep in and take root. We start seeing everyone and everything through a new lens. A shift in perspective has a rippling effect...into our thoughts, and eventually our hearts.

Here I sit. In God's classroom. Waiting and ready. Teach me, Lord. Breathe your good thoughts and purposes into me. I want to learn.

Copyright 2015 by Julie Cowell. All rights reserved.

"Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths. Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long." ~Psalm 25:4-5 ESV

"To wait is often harder than to work." ~Peter Marshall


No comments:

Post a Comment