Tuesday, March 29, 2016

DANCE!

It had been one of those days. Heart-racing, how-will-I-get-it-all-done days. One of many in a long strand of blurred calendar boxes jam-packed with important stuff that needed to get done.

I sat at work, forced to be quiet and still. Shuffling through paperwork, I noticed a word. One word. It kept appearing, practically jumping off the pages in my hands. One word, leaping off the print, waving its arms at me. One word almost shouting, "LOOK AT ME!"

I know from past experiences. Because I believe God gives me one word at a time ~ to focus on, to breathe in, to experience on a deeper level.

DANCE. Hmm. This word didn't look like my others. HOPE. TRUST. PRAY. THANK. LOVE. DANCE?  Did this one word really have a rightful place with my others?

Where are you going with this one, Lord? I prayed silently, trying to put a visual to this five letter word. What I heard in return was just one word. DANCE.

Later that same day, I sat in our "nest" (my name for our tinier-living experiment). I opened my devotional and read the verse at the top of the page. "You turned my wailing into dancing, you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy, that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent. Lord my God, I will praise you forever." (Psalm 30:11-12) The message that followed ended with this challenge ~ "Spend a minute thanking God for turning your mourning into dancing." (Shauna Niequist)

Oh! I began to see where He was going with this new word. DANCE!

It's time to take off the tattered sackcloth of mourning and be clothed in joy. I jumped up and quite literally did a happy dance. Though circumstances may not appear all that joyful, I will still sing His praises. I will not be silent. And yes, I will dance!

Because when you know God and do your best to keep in step with Him (much like a dance), the joy is always available, always waiting for us, beckoning us to grab hold of it. Regardless of circumstances and calendars bursting at the seams with stuff that needs to get done. We get to decide everyday if we will wear the sackcloth of mourning, or get all dressed up in joy. And go dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment